Join our Discord 0 MEMBERS ONLINE
play.creativefun.net 0 PLAYING NOW

How to build terrain

brighhton

Admin
Website Mod
IMG_5571.JPG

HOW TO BUILD TERRAIN

This is a step by step guide on how to build a substantial mountain using WorldEdit and VoxelSniper. If you're new to WorldEdit, I suggest you to read through this guide before continuing. However, all of the commands used are explained throughout the guide.

| PART ONE: Base
This part of the process will set up the general shape of your build. Note that when you're placing your blocks, there will be parts where the mountain peaks and falls; think ahead.

1. LIST OF TOOLS.
You can use any tool to bind your brushes to, but these are the ones I generally pick. In this case, diamond will be bound to the largest sized brush, and the brush size will decrease going from left to right. Try to find a system that makes the most sense to you, so while you're using your brushes you don't become confused.

2. LAYERS.
For the first layer of the build, I used the //br cyl command. The format is //brush cylinder [block] [radius] [height]. Therefore, when the brush is used, it will spawn a stone cylinder with a radius of 20 and height of 15. This command was bound to the diamond axe, simply right click where you want your cylinder to be placed.
This is the outcome of the first layer.​

Layer 2: //br cyl stone 12 10
Layer 3: //br cyl stone 7 5
Surround the first layer with these smaller cylinders in order to create a more mountain-like shape.
This is the outcome of adding layers 2 and 3.​

3. PART 2 PREPARATION.
Bind these two commands to the same tool.
Command 1: //br sphere stone 30
The first command's format is //brush sphere [block] [radius]. Therefore, this command will spawn a stone sphere with a radius of 30.
Command 2: //mask grass_block
The second command's format is //mask [block]. Adding this command to the brush will make it so the only blocks effected when using the brush will be grass_blocks.

This is the final product of Part 1.​

| PART TWO: Shaping.
This part of the process will be to mould the shape of the mountain into smooth edges and peaks from harsh, unrealistic edges.

1. GETTING RID OF HARSH EDGES.
Hold an arrow and run the following commands:
/b e lift
/b 10
/b e lift is a VoxelSniper command. It will lift any block within the radius by 1. Use /b [radius] to control the brush size. In this build, I used 10. To use this brush, simply apply it all over your mountain. The goal of this is to eliminate any harsh edges created by using large, cylinder shapes. Right click while holding the arrow in the area you want to apply the command.
https://imgur.com/3xMYZ1o
This is the outcome of applying /b e lift.​

2. SMOOTHING OUT YOUR MOUNTAIN.
Now, you've probably noticed that your build looks like garbage right about now. However don't worry, as everything will be fixed right now.
Hold an arrow and run the following commands:
/b bb
/b 15
/b bb is also a VoxelSniper command. It is essentially a better version of WorldEdit's //smooth. Use /b [radius] to control the brush size. In this build, I used 15. Again, apply this brush all over your mountain. The goal of this is to smooth the lumpy and bumpy mess of a mountain into smooth terrain. Once you've finished this step, you will have the final shape of your mountain.
https://imgur.com/d4fGn0y
This is the outcome of step 2.
PS: I fixed the dirt areas before moving onto the next part.​

| PART THREE: Colouring.
This part of the process will be to add colour to your currently grey mountain.

1. CHOOSING A PALETTE.
It is important that your palette is cohesive. Try placing blocks next to each other to get a general idea of how it may look.
This is the palette I used for this build. The blocks go as follows: grass_block, diorite, light_gray_concrete, cyan_concrete and gray_concrete. (Admittedly, I should have included dirt).

2. BINDING THE PALETTE TO YOUR TOOLS.
Similarly to the very first step, you're going to have a list of tools in which you will use to bind your brushes onto.

For each of the following brushes, add //mask stone. You will notice that I bound the brushes to the tools in order of the palette, this is for organisational purposes.
Diamond: //br sphere grass_block 3
Gold: //br sphere diorite 3
Iron: //br sphere light_gray_concrete 4
Stone: //br sphere cyan_terracotta 4
Wood: //br sphere gray_concrete 10

3. COLOURING YOUR TERRAIN.
Using your brushes, you're going to apply the colours methodically. Depending on the type of terrain you're making, you'll colour it differently. Though, you generally want the peaks of the mountain to be grass (or snow, if winter themed) and then have a gradual gradient from light to dark. My example build will be of a tropical-esque theme, therefore having lots of green and saturated colours.

You generally want to put grass on the peaks/flatter areas of your ridges, and flatter areas of your whole mountain. Next, for this specific build, I used diorite to add highlights to the mountain and provide slight contrasts. Therefore, it is placed sparingly underneath the grass. Afterwards, you want to add the light grey concrete, cyan terracotta and grey concrete in a gradient underneath and around all of the grass.
Here is a visual process:
Grass
Diorite
Cyan Terracotta
Grey Concrete

PS: Light Grey Concrete not included because the changes are not observable due to its colour similarity with stone.
PPS: I missed a section in Grey Concrete, oops... (Fixed before final product).

| PART FOUR: Final touches!
Adding details and cleaning up mistakes will bring your build to life.

1. Cleaning up the edges.
Pretty self explanatory, go through the edges of you build and fix missing patches, etc. It's up to you how much attention you want to pay attention to this. I will admit that my builds' edges are horrid.
Cleaned up

2. Adding flora.
Build some trees and paste them all over your build. Adding flowers, ferns, grass and custom bushes really makes a difference. To an extent; the more variety, the better.
Trees

After you have finished all of these steps, you should come across the final product...
tada

Thank you for reading this guide. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask them.​

Last edited:

CfForums

although there are many other ways of doing your terrain, this is a great guide. I'd prefer sticking to my usual commands though