Menu

Join our Discord 0 MEMBERS ONLINE
play.creativefun.net 0 PLAYING NOW

OFFICIAL Plot Minigames Progress

This thread is subject to change at any moment but serves the purpose of informing players how the plot minigame system will work and should be helpful to players that will be testing out these new features in the upcoming weeks. As mentioned before this thread will be going through updates as we improve and change the mechanics.

Setting up a minigame
The base command will be /minigame setup and will display in chat the parameters that can be set such as minigame name, team spawn points, lobby, build area etc. (This will change a lot, at the moment it's very basic, missing a lot of options and not user friendly):

Advertising a minigame
You will be able to use the advertising channel to advertise minigames:

Adding some sort of filtering system that allows players to view adverts for things they only care about (such as roleplays or minigames) is something that needs thought but is not a priority at the moment. Fundamentally we want to keep all the advertisements in one channel but give players the option to filter what they see in that channel. Many new players are often confused about the [A] and so this may also get renamed to [Adverts].

Viewing active minigames
This still needs some thought but will be expanded upon later, players can already advertise their minigames in the advertising channel but having a separate command that lets you view games that are looking for players will be useful for players that do not want to spam the channel every 10 seconds.

Hosting a minigame
When you have completed the minigame setup you will need to make your minigame active, this will allow players to use /join [name] to join your minigame and will allow you to advertise your minigame. Players will be sent to the lobby you have setup and will be able to choose which team they want to join:

Start of the minigame
At the start of the game all players will be teleported to their respective spawn point depending on which team they are on:

Death messages
When players are killed a basic message will be sent to everyone on the plot about it:

Custom death messages
[Still needs thought]

End of the game
The winner will be announced to everyone on the plot:

Leaderboard
Each plot will keep track of the players that win in a minigame, /leaderboard tdm will display the player names with the most wins in team deathmatch:

Guilds
[Still needs thought]

Last edited:

Daazo

Will we get to use items like Potions, Bows, Crossbows and such or are they still gonna be banned?

This is looking great so far, though my only potential concern would be splitting the advertising for minigames into its own chat as that may kill the popularity. Otherwise this update is looking like it will be a great addition to the server.

FrodoFTW

Awesome! Adding a different chat channel might be a problem (as @LyonaisGhost said above) but I think this is great besides that. I think @Daazo brings up a valid point, projectiles would be useful for minigames. Personally, I think if the update had more customization and creative freedom for players, (I don't know if this is already the plan) it could really be something unique!

Will we get to use items like Potions, Bows, Crossbows and such or are they still gonna be banned?
At the moment all players on a team are given an iron sword and a bow with 10 arrows, bows will work while in a minigame. The base kit will most likely change to include other important things such as build materials. Allowing the plot owner to specify kits for example could also give players a lot more freedom to decide what items they want to use but this is something that we can think about once the basic game is in a working state.

This is looking great so far, though my only potential concern would be splitting the advertising for minigames into its own chat as that may kill the popularity. Otherwise this update is looking like it will be a great addition to the server.
I personally don't mind having the minigames advertised in the /a channel instead but my concern is that roleplay owners will not be happy that the channel is filled with minigame adverts. Regardless of whether there is a new chat channel or /a is used for the minigame adverts there is no way to please everyone with this which is unfortunate. For now I think I'll scrap the idea of a new chat channel and have the minigame adverts placed in /a

Awesome! Adding a different chat channel might be a problem (as @LyonaisGhost said above) but I think this is great besides that. I think @Daazo brings up a valid point, projectiles would be useful for minigames. Personally, I think if the update had more customization and creative freedom for players, (I don't know if this is already the plan) it could really be something unique!
This is the first time I've ever worked on a minigame and this whole thing has been a learning experience for me so far which is why it is very basic at the moment, when the basic version is ready to be tested by players I will be collecting feedback from everyone on what things need to be added which should hopefully give players more customization over their minigame. Things like kits, build access and lucky item drops for example are definitely something I want to address when the basic version of the game has been tested by players.

Saxtreme

Hope not, if at all there should be a way to switch between 1.8 and modern PvP
That's kinda what I meant, so that if a plot owner feels that the 1.8 combat system would work better for their minigame (or if they just prefer it overall), they can use it.

Svexellent

I personally don't mind having the minigames advertised in the /a channel instead but my concern is that roleplay owners will not be happy that the channel is filled with minigame adverts. Regardless of whether there is a new chat channel or /a is used for the minigame adverts there is no way to please everyone with this which is unfortunate. For now I think I'll scrap the idea of a new chat channel and have the minigame adverts placed in /a
Would it be possible for there to be three /a chats? One for roleplays, one for minigames, and the current one we have right now acting as a mix of the two. So if you were to advertise an RP, it would show up in the RP advertising chat (/a rp), but also in the 'mixed-advertising' chat (/a). Same goes for if you were to advertise a minigame (/a mg). Other builds (such as freebuilds) would still be able to use the normal /a channel. This gives players the option to filter out /a to their likings, without making it too complicated.

Moonss

Chat Moderator
Someone said this on the first post about this is a concept I wish to restate. I hope there will be a way to put restrictions on where a player can or cannot interact/build/break blocks within an area. Say for a game a spleef, where typically you would have to add everyone to allow them to break the snow, but this also allows them to touch the rest of the build/building as well. Being able to protect certain areas while others areas can have blocks broken and such by the players will be useful for spleef and probably other minigames.

Jeessica

Admin
Website Mod
Would it be possible for there to be three /a chats? One for roleplays, one for minigames, and the current one we have right now acting as a mix of the two. So if you were to advertise an RP, it would show up in the RP advertising chat (/a rp), but also in the 'mixed-advertising' chat (/a). Same goes for if you were to advertise a minigame (/a mg). Other builds (such as freebuilds) would still be able to use the normal /a channel. This gives players the option to filter out /a to their likings, without making it too complicated.
I like this idea and I've thought about something like this before. Not necessarily having three separate chat channels but having three different options on how you want to advertise (/a roleplay, /a minigame, /a build). "Build" would be where people want to advertise for people to come see their builds or where players ask for build help. Then obviously there'd need to be a setting to perhaps block out the advertisements you don't want - so if a player only wants to see the minigame advertisements then they will have the option to disable the roleplay advertisements and the build advertisements.

FrodoFTW

I like this idea and I've thought about something like this before. Not necessarily having three separate chat channels but having three different options on how you want to advertise (/a roleplay, /a minigame, /a build). "Build" would be where people want to advertise for people to come see their builds or where players ask for build help. Then obviously there'd need to be a setting to perhaps block out the advertisements you don't want - so if a player only wants to see the minigame advertisements then they will have the option to disable the roleplay advertisements and the build advertisements.
In the same chat, this could definitely work

IceYou_

I feel like the experimental ad system would work really well in this case. I imagine a chest GUI with these tabs on the top: Mini games, roleplays and everything. Honestly minigames are a great addition to cf, but you know how it is with new features. So, before adding that, I would suggest opening cf4 for extensive testing.

DeadRatt

This is starting to look REALLY good. I am mainly excited for the types of Arenas that the games would take place in.
(Seriously please build a TF2 Themed arena for minigames my life will be complete)

The original post has been updated to include new information about Hosting a minigame and Viewing active minigames. The Advertising a minigame section has been amended too.

Will a system similar to the 1.8 combat system (so things like no attack speed) be possible?
I intend on using a plugin that other new servers are using which restores the old pvp combat system, the new pvp system is too controversial.
I've edited my original post to include more information about how the advertising system should function, essentially I think it would be better to just have roleplays and minigames in the advertising channel but players should be able to filter the stuff they care about. Having different commands to advertise different things may be confusing for new players which is why I believe we should keep the advertising channel as simple as possible but still give players control over what they want to see and what they don't want to see.
Someone said this on the first post about this is a concept I wish to restate. I hope there will be a way to put restrictions on where a player can or cannot interact/build/break blocks within an area. Say for a game a spleef, where typically you would have to add everyone to allow them to break the snow, but this also allows them to touch the rest of the build/building as well. Being able to protect certain areas while others areas can have blocks broken and such by the players will be useful for spleef and probably other minigames.
As of right now there is no support for building/breaking at all, I will be adding this when more progress has been made but yes being able to set protected areas and build areas is a planned feature.