Menu

Join our Discord 0 MEMBERS ONLINE
play.creativefun.net 0 PLAYING NOW

The Problem With CF Roleplays (Most of them, anyway.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBreadBread

Hello, everyone who happened to look at this. I've been thinking about posting this for a while, so that people can learn to better make their roleplays and allow people to have more fun with them. I'm bad with fancy text effects, so enjoy this simple, blunt rant about CF roleplays.

In General
Looking at the big picture, there's a lot of things that, even if they're entirely different kinds of rps, almost all rps have in common.
Too much romance.
Quite obvious, really. I find that even if the rp is about a raging war between two factions, where every battle ends with both sides having major casualties, some suckers decide to date like there's nothing wrong with the world. I understand that romance is a popular and, frankly, quite heartwarming subject, but if you're going to ruin the purpose of the story because that person's skin and character kinda seem attractive, then stop. Please.
Roles
A big part of CF, that I honestly dislike. Sure, it helps people see what everyone's all about. Who's the lead scientist, who's the cheerleader, yadda yadda, but that's what I hate about it. A character isn't defined by what their "Role" is, they're defined by their actions and decisions. Because your role is "Jock", you have to be fit, strong, and probably somebody that everyone hates. Boring.

Specific RP Types
We're moving on to the little details of every type of rp, and how every kind screws up, if not well made. Let's begin.
Lab RPs
One of my favorite ideas on this list. Powers? Kidnapped by the government to be a test subject? Sick. lots of room for character development, and lots of cool fights to ensue.
Ah, wait, no there aren't. Looking back to roles, there's power levels, and I constantly leave Lab rps early because of them. You've usually got numbers from 1-8, 1 being incredibly weak, and 8 being stronk boi. The first people to join the server immediately pick 8, and then it goes down and down until some poor people are stuck with having flowers for hands. Not only that, in the rp itself, the people who get level 8 are usually incredibly violent and overall kinda suck. They always start fights and act like they own the facility themselves. Pssh. Not only that, the head scientist thinks that just because they're number one on the hierarchy, they have complete power. I once joined a lab rp only for the head scientist to put shock collars on everyone and use them at the slightest insult to themselves. Equality, people, get some.
HS RPs
Ooh boy, this one is my least favorite of them all. It's literally just high school. Why. Living out your high school fantasy of being super attractive and having all the babes swooning on you is, one, kinda weird, and two, lame. Real life high school is hell. There's hardly any fun, there's no big goal or story, there's just "Ah. School. Homework. Whatever". Honestly, I don't know how people manage with this. Really. Like, people suffering through highschool rp? Heck yeah. But just.. bad movie script? No.
VVH RPs
Another one that could have been cool. The thought of a war between the evil and powerful yet ever so vulnerable vampires against the weaker, but much more intuitive and don't die in the sun Humans. Sounds interesting, right? Well too bad, because almost every VVH rp is just a rewrITE OF TWILIGHT. WHY WOULD THEY DATE EACH OTHER. THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON. ONE OF THEM LITERALLY SUCKS BLOOD. NO. This is literally just the 'Too much romance' problem except IT'S LITERALLY THE WHOLE SUBJECT WHEN IT SHOULDN'T BE. STOP.
Fantasy RPs
This is a little better than the rest, and I'm starting to calm down. The idea of elves, dragons, gnomes (hoo) and whatnot is incredibly popular and has so much room for changes. It's also huge. Too huge. I've seen a lot of rps that were ruined because they were too big. Waaaay too big. Everyone splits up and goes their separate ways at the beginning, maybe find one person to hang with, and then everyone is in their little groups, separated and lost. Downsize, people, like my brain. Let everyone interact in a little bit more of a compact space. Not too compact, though. Just a bit smaller.
Danganropa RPs
I haven't done many of these, so I'm not the greatest source, but I still have some things to say. The problem with Danganropa RPs is that they deserve to be more of a game. They're way too difficult to deal with, and the murder site has to be built on-grounds, during the RP itself. The murderer has to communicate with the staff on how the scene should be, and, if done incorrectly (Being tped, books, etc.) It can be quite obvious who the killer is. I think more of a Werewolf type game would work better than a full on roleplay. Some people are willing to do all the work, though, and that's respectable.

And that's about all, I only play on CF when I know there's a good roleplay starting soon, so I don't know much. I'm sure many people have gone into more detail on different types of rps, which, if that's what you're looking for, check them out. But, if you can get anything out of this and learn, I'm happy.
Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk, I guess.

To Be Done:
Steampunk

Last edited:

CfForums

Hello, everyone who happened to look at this. I've been thinking about posting this for a while, so that people can learn to better make their roleplays and allow people to have more fun with them. I'm bad with fancy text effects, so enjoy this simple, blunt rant about CF roleplays.

In General
Looking at the big picture, there's a lot of things that, even if they're entirely different kinds of rps, almost all rps have in common.
Too much romance.
Quite obvious, really. I find that even if the rp is about a raging war between two factions, where every battle ends with both sides having major casualties, some suckers decide to date like there's nothing wrong with the world. I understand that romance is a popular and, frankly, quite heartwarming subject, but if you're going to ruin the purpose of the story because that person's skin and character kinda seem attractive, then stop. Please.
Roles
A big part of CF, that I honestly dislike. Sure, it helps people see what everyone's all about. Who's the lead scientist, who's the cheerleader, yadda yadda, but that's what I hate about it. A character isn't defined by what their "Role" is, they're defined by their actions and decisions. Because your role is "Jock", you have to be fit, strong, and probably somebody that everyone hates. Boring.

Specific RP Types
We're moving on to the little details of every type of rp, and how every kind screws up, if not well made. Let's begin.
Lab RPs
One of my favorite ideas on this list. Powers? Kidnapped by the government to be a test subject? Sick. lots of room for character development, and lots of cool fights to ensue.
Ah, wait, no there aren't. Looking back to roles, there's power levels, and I constantly leave Lab rps early because of them. You've usually got numbers from 1-8, 1 being incredibly weak, and 8 being stronk boi. The first people to join the server immediately pick 8, and then it goes down and down until some poor people are stuck with having flowers for hands. Not only that, in the rp itself, the people who get level 8 are usually incredibly violent and overall kinda suck. They always start fights and act like they own the facility themselves. Pssh. Not only that, the head scientist thinks that just because they're number one on the hierarchy, they have complete power. I once joined a lab rp only for the head scientist to put shock collars on everyone and use them at the slightest insult to themselves. Equality, people, get some.
HS RPs
Ooh boy, this one is my least favorite of them all. It's literally just high school. Why. Living out your high school fantasy of being super attractive and having all the babes swooning on you is, one, kinda weird, and two, lame. Real life high school is hell. There's hardly any fun, there's no big goal or story, there's just "Ah. School. Homework. Whatever". Honestly, I don't know how people manage with this. Really. Like, people suffering through highschool rp? Heck yeah. But just.. bad movie script? No.
VVH RPs
Another one that could have been cool. The thought of a war between the evil and powerful yet ever so vulnerable vampires against the weaker, but much more intuitive and don't die in the sun Humans. Sounds interesting, right? Well too bad, because almost every VVH rp is just a rewrITE OF TWILIGHT. WHY WOULD THEY DATE EACH OTHER. THEY HAVE NOTHING IN COMMON. ONE OF THEM LITERALLY SUCKS BLOOD. NO. This is literally just the 'Too much romance' problem except IT'S LITERALLY THE WHOLE SUBJECT WHEN IT SHOULDN'T BE. STOP.
Fantasy RPs
This is a little better than the rest, and I'm starting to calm down. The idea of elves, dragons, gnomes (hoo) and whatnot is incredibly popular and has so much room for changes. It's also huge. Too huge. I've seen a lot of rps that were ruined because they were too big. Waaaay too big. Everyone splits up and goes their separate ways at the beginning, maybe find one person to hang with, and then everyone is in their little groups, separated and lost. Downsize, people, like my brain. Let everyone interact in a little bit more of a compact space. Not too compact, though. Just a bit smaller.
Danganropa RPs
I haven't done many of these, so I'm not the greatest source, but I still have some things to say. The problem with Danganropa RPs is that they deserve to be more of a game. They're way too difficult to deal with, and the murder site has to be built on-grounds, during the RP itself. The murderer has to communicate with the staff on how the scene should be, and, if done incorrectly (Being tped, books, etc.) It can be quite obvious who the killer is. I think more of a Werewolf type game would work better than a full on roleplay. Some people are willing to do all the work, though, and that's respectable.

And that's about all, I only play on CF when I know there's a good roleplay starting soon, so I don't know much. I'm sure many people have gone into more detail on different types of rps, which, if that's what you're looking for, check them out. But, if you can get anything out of this and learn, I'm happy.
Thanks for listening to my Ted Talk, I guess.

To Be Done:
Steampunk
bruv i already covered this in one of my guides.

_BanAnime

Another problem that faces rp on cf is how most rps aren't original. Often times people aren't too creative outside of hs or camp rps and just stick to those two along with some others that don't really resonate well or are memorable. It'd be damn swell if we tried out some more dark and interesting settings like cyberpunk, western, apocalyptic, sci fi, steampunk(as you suggested), etc. there could be a thousand different variations of fantasy rps alone; Dark fantasy, Nordic mythology type fantasy and Rome inspired fantasy only to name a scant few. People need to get inspired and creative, that'd make fantastic rps within the community.

NovaTerrestrial

Personally I agree with you. The creativity, these days is no fun, no one has creative ideas and it's starting to bother me because I love CF but the originality, lacks.

LtColonel

I had an original idea but I can't complete it because CF's community lacks competence in regards to building and succeeding in basic roleplay.

MrBreadBread

Another problem that faces rp on cf is how most rps aren't original. Often times people aren't too creative outside of hs or camp rps and just stick to those two along with some others that don't really resonate well or are memorable. It'd be damn swell if we tried out some more dark and interesting settings like cyberpunk, western, apocalyptic, sci fi, steampunk(as you suggested), etc. there could be a thousand different variations of fantasy rps alone; Dark fantasy, Nordic mythology type fantasy and Rome inspired fantasy only to name a scant few. People need to get inspired and creative, that'd make fantastic rps within the community.
I feel that I should have written that down, but I’ll just leave it here in the comments. I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Personally I agree with you. The creativity, these days is no fun, no one has creative ideas and it's starting to bother me because I love CF but the originality, lacks.
*cough* i'm making a border rp that no one else has ever built *cough*
yeah
is that UNIQUE enough for you?

Sh_de

Did you know during war, baby rate went up, hence *Baby boomers* always during war it went up, so I personally don't have a problem with war rps (Rvrs, ww1/2s, etc) having romance. But I totally agree with you for the Vvh rps, Sure the vampires could *pretend* to be in love, but no, no love should happen unless its between people who already knew each other. Ex: Vampires x vampires, humans x humans. I can not say anything about high school rps, as I do not go to them. The same goes for the dang (I'm not sure how to spell it, so I'm not even gonna try) rps. Fantasy rps I have no problem with, as long as there is a main (Evil) character, like for rvrs its usually the royals (sadly), vvhs, its the vampires, etc. If a fantasy rp does not have an main (evil) character, it can be quite boring, as there is no war, or drama, just people running around.

Status
Not open for further replies.