Would've or would of

Inhf

Server Moderator
Aug 19, 2016
somewhere that's not on Earth
Ok so like I learnt English because I've lived in Ireland. And I learnt some grammar and all there (ew grammar). So I always thought it's would've, as in would have.

But then I go to the internet. I have seen /SO/ many people saying would of, and it used to drive me mad because I was pretty sure it was would've. Now I'm not so sure anymore, is would of correct?

Idk guys help me out here :p

Kqwi

Admin
Website Mod
Jul 31, 2017
the Milky Way
As far as I know, it's "would've". I believe "would of" is just urban language.

Reactions: Colorrrr

moodymouse

Jan 2, 2019
the trash
Ok so like I learnt English because I've lived in Ireland. And I learnt some grammar and all there (ew grammar). So I always thought it's would've, as in would have.

But then I go to the internet. I have seen /SO/ many people saying would of, and it used to drive me mad because I was pretty sure it was would've. Now I'm not so sure anymore, is would of correct?

Idk guys help me out here :p
I mean-
“Would’ve” does mean would have and would of

As far as I know, it's "would've". I believe "would of" is just urban language.
I ageee too

Reactions: Inhf

Laq_

Jul 12, 2018
Somewhere in Canada
i think both are grammatically correct, i use both,
so i guess just use which ever you prefer :')

_Aurelian

Mar 1, 2016
Mare Nostrum
Would've is grammatically correct, it is a contraction of "would have." "Would of" is definitely not grammatically correct, it is more of a colloquialism, a way of writing the way you say it. Although I can't say I personally use "Would of."

JustSimplyCloud

Jun 22, 2017
Murrica
I speak American, so I wouldn’t have any idea on how to speak “English”

stanlori

Dec 2, 2018
Planet Earth
Grammatically speaking, 'Would have' is the correct phrase when writing. Would of is an incorrect habit of spoken english.